Tuesday, February 5, 2008

more fish stuff

I got my big tank filed up quite a while ago, but never put up a picture of the completed thing, so here it is. There's live plants: Amazon and melon swords, Italian vals, bacopa, and java ferns. Also there are some driftwood pieces that are just awesome. Now a few months after plants the plants (the vals especially) have really taken off. I don't have any CO2 going, so my capacity for plant life will be limited. The melon swords don't seem to be doing so well, but hey are still alive.


The tank is going to be a discus tank, so it limits the types of plants that can be in it. I had moved over my two Bolivian rams, and they seem to really love it in there. Apparently they are male and female, because they made a batch of babies. I couldn't capture them because every day I saw fewer of them. I don't know if they got sucked into the sump, or if Pleco ate them. So now I'm waiting for another batch, and I'll catch them. 

About the cichlid tank: they're all dead. There was a fungal infection, I took out the sick one, treated any secondary bacterial infections with Mycin-II. I should have found some anti-fungal medicine, but I think the pet store didn't have any. Anyway, te infected one did get better in the medicine tank, but eventually died. The rest of the tank is something else: I put a smaller dose of the Mycin-II in the big tank as a prophylactic, but it killed the biological filter, and then all the fish died. It was a total mess, very disgusting. There are two lessons here: don't medicate a tank that's not sick; and use the right medicine.

Lesson learned

But the future discus tank is doing really well, at least.




No comments: