Thursday, August 2, 2007

More fish

Mark the date: the female kenyi has a batch of eggs in her mouth. Her chin has a definite bulge to it. Previous to this was her body looking quite "well fed" and the male chasing her every time she came out of her corner. She was rubbing her body and face against a piece of plant pot. I think this is to clean the surface that the eggs will be laid and inseminated on, then she scoops them up for incubation. I though she just laid the eggs anywhere, but maybe they choose surfaces like the fish who lay their eggs on slate. Anyway, I already have five (was 6, one died) rescued fry from two previous batches. They are growing; I think I'll rescue this next batch, then I think the older ones will be too big to be with new fry. I only have this one extra tank, and it's only like 5 gallons.

I ordered a giant 125g tank for discus and plants. It came today! Reef ready with 30g sump. This is going to take along time to set up because I need everything perfect and established before the discus are added. It will have lots of plants, driftwood (to acidify and soften the water some), probably peat too. I need to see by how much the organic matter will soften my tap water before adding any fish.

No comments: