Thursday, September 4, 2008

The circle of life

On the discus front, I think I have two (out of eight) dead discus. One I saw had worms because he had white stringy poop. I didn't actaully see worms, but the white poop thing is a symptom. So I got medicine: PraziPro by Aquarium Solutions. It's supposed to be very safe for the plants and fish, and very effective at killing the nasties. The active ingredient is praziquantel, and their directions will give a concetration of 2.5mg/L (2.5ppm). I have four very healthy looking discus, and then two small and shy and sickly looking ones too, so my eye is on the two smaller ones.

Further along the circle of life is the superworm I put in the gecko cage a long time ago. That guy doesn't eat very many superworms (I think he likes crickies better) so the worm just crawled about in the cage. Well now there's a freaking beetle in there! It's like a two week process to go from larva (the superworm the lizards eat) to pupa (I didn't see that stage) to now a dark colored beetle. Maybe the gecko will be interested in that!

sorry for being boring but I have a surprise on the way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to have 2 geckos. My boy loved meal worms while my girl hated them. But then, when my boy got sick, I started buying worms specifically because I knew he'd eat them. That beeotch though, knowing Puck was sick, would eat the worms.

I only have the one gecko, as poor Puck went to gecko heaven some time ago. Speedo is still a beeotch, but I heart her anyway.

Gosh, we bought them in 2000. That's a long time in my world!