Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tidbits

- I got a shipment of superworms today. They must like the 60F weather, because there were zero dead in the 1000. And three freshies! (no shell = no chitin)

- I recently discovered that there are mockingbirds here. There is a bird with a particularly annoying and grating squawk. I thought it was a grackle, but it's mockingbirds:

Anyway, I was able to tell what kind of bird it was from one of my iPhone apps. It's been advertised on TV, and it's awesome. You can search a type of bird by location, how often you should expect it at your bird feeder, it's colors, multiple subgroups of its call, and many other qualifiers. And then when you have a bird selected you can see the drawing of it, or some submitted pictures of it. The most awesome part: you can play its song. And if you put the phone on loud you could probably attract one.

- Saffron is a lazy kitty. But a rabbit in the yard finally got her attention after chomping on the clover for a long long time. It must know it's safe. Well, Biscuit at least catches stuff.
hey buddy. what chu munchin on?

Come back! Please? I'm lonely.

- Saffron is a dirty and disgusting animal. She rolls in dirt and doesn't groom herself. Also, she has a skin condition. So that all combines into a short hair cat having a bad mat problem. I've given her a nice bald spot on her back by cutting out some of the worst offenders, but I'm probably not even half done.

- I thought I had 14 fry in my cichlid tank. I count every time I look in the basket, and keep coming up with 13. So, I figured one died. I discovered a rogue in the rocks, who must have escaped during a recent transfer when I was cleaning. So I am back up to 14! Well, was, before I discovered a dead fry in the basket. The other fish on the outside of the box suck the food through the mesh, and he must have gotten in the way. So, back to 13.

- Gravy is doing very well. I think I'll be able to move her into the cat room this weekend, as Biscuit and Gravy are on the verge of starting to play together. When Biscuit isn't too annoyed to, that is.

~~END~~

No comments: