Thursday, July 2, 2009

I'm starting to get suspiscious

Background info: We are current Verizon customer with a land line we don't actually used, but thought we should keep the account because we've been waiting to upgrade to Verizon's FIOS for Internet and cable. The line was installed earlier in the year, and we've gotten a few cards from sales reps trying to sign us up. I knew it would be a while between the lines being laid to when we could actually start the service, so we weren't in any hurry to contact anyone.

Current situation: a door-to-door sales rep came by last Friday or Saturday evening. We signed up for the triple play (phone, Internet, cable) even though we don't need the phone. But you sign up for all three then cancel what you don't want later. That's fine, that seems to be the way it usually works.

So anyway, the sales rep guy needs to use our computer to plug in the order on the Verizon site, I guess. I thought the whole process seemed a little weird, and they call a thrid party service to confirm you have knowledge of this guy placing an order in your name. I thought it was weird, but I saw he had other filled out slips in his folder, so we're at least not the only people falling for a scam. So we set an install date for a couple weeks from now.

Yesterday I got a voicemail from Verizon giving me no more information than call this number in less that 24hrs or your order is cancelled. So I tried the number. Invalid number.

I don't know my login or account number or anything for the website, so I can't really do anything from work. At least this evening I'll have an account number the plug in and see if the website tells me anything.

And the weirdest part? The computer the guy used to put in the order is dead as of two day ago. Wonder if he put a virus on it.




~~END~~