Friday, October 9, 2009

I have proof the blue fish is an asshole

I already had the webcam setup at the last spawn site of the discus, and those eggs lasted a remarkably long time (over 24 hours) before they were eaten. Now there's another spawn going on, probably with the second female, that was happening right as I was playing on the computer. So all I had to do was access the camera, didn't have to get up or anything.

One of the first things I saw the male (blue fish) do after some eggs finally appeared, was EAT THEM!! He ate a few before finally remembering why he was there. I was very upset. But he did redeem himself later, when he finally got into fertilize position.
He made a few passes, but not as many as the female takes to lay the eggs. Hopefully those few passes is enough to get some fertilized.

I am very happy to know he knows how to do it, now the only question left is if he is fertile or not. Also I need to find a way to protect the eggs so they might have a chance of hatching.


~~END~~

2 comments:

Will said...

Hey Look, you are internationally famous.

Greeting from KL

Garry Walker said...

http://garry-blog.blogspot.com/2006/10/meet-my-aquatic-family.html My Discus fish all died except 1... I started off with 5. Great blog - I'm following you now.