Thursday, January 25, 2007

Everything is a freakin scam

So the bank says I bounced a $3000 check. It turns out it's true, the funds were not there in the checking account. However, 4 days before the check bounced I deposited $6000 in person, with a slip from the checkbook. So, with my mad math skillz, I decided I had enough to pay off the credit card. Well, turns out the deposit actually went to the savings account, even though I used a checking deposit slip. Who knows, maybe a bad day for the teller or something. So why were the funds not covered by the moneys in savings? They would have been, had the credit card company been simply trying to cash my check. But no, they do an electronic funds transfer (that's why some checks appear in the list of debit transactions, not as a cleared check). Apparently the EFT works so that the savings account never comes into play! They try to pull the funds twice, then you're S.O.L. The scam, I've decided, with the EFT is for the bank to get your overdraft charges (which is a nice paradox in this case) and the credit card company to get your newly raised rates, plus the late fee for missing a payment. It's a win-win situation! or something.

No comments: