Saturday, January 6, 2007

Watery Woes

So I'm trying to get my 35 gallon fishtank set up again, now that we're settled. It was going fine: got the undergravel filter and powerhead hooked up, rocks rinsed and in the tank, and the water was half in. I was thinking that filling was going slowly, but I was seeing progress with each bucket. At this point that I saw some water creeping up between the facing and the glass on the bottom of the tank, and it crossed my mind that I should have leak tested before putting in the damned rocks and filter. Or it could just be some water spilled down the front. Wicking away the water with a paper towel proved it: a leak. God. Damn. It. Luckily a window is nearby and I happened to have a pretty long syphon tube. So now it's drying to get siliconed. I wanted to see fish swimming this weekend, but it looks like next weekend for that.

Anyway, here's a picture of Crabby Cakes before he finally died. I think he molted probably three or four times in the couple years I had him. And after picking out empty shells from the tank after a molt, it comes as a shock when it's realy him this time.The pink blur on the left is an Australian Rainbow and the yellow blur in the right upper corner is a Lemon Yellow, a member of the cichlid family.

No comments: