Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas (un)wrap-up

So. It's Sunday after Christmas. I have to go to work tomorrow, after taking all of last week off (some voluntarily, some not). I had a killer cold that really knocked me on my ass worse than a cold usually does. Seriously: I slept in my recliner for two nights so my head wouldn't fill up. It worked in that regard, but the day after the first night's recliner sleep I was really sore. That achyness made me feel way worse on Day 2 (Wednesday) than I normally would have. I was pretty good on Christmas day, after guarding the Christmas tree all night long. Hubby got me an ice cream attachment for my electric mixer. We tried that last night with peppermint (that's why I put so many candy canes on the tree), and it worked pretty well. I've only had a small spoonful of it today, but initial predictions are that it was a success. My parents got us some brain food: lots of puzzles of different types Hubby specifically asked for almond roca, which he got in his stocking. "Not as good as I remember" is what he says about that. I got him a bitchin' flashlight, so now he's reading up on the latest in the flashlight world. Also he got a hat. Pictures coming, as soon as I edit his face to spare (me) the shame.

We ate Christmas dinner at a friends house. They had two of their kids (the two they have with each other, the other two were off with the other parents) with them this holiday, ages 8 and 9? 8 and 10? 9 and 10? don't remember, but they still believe in Santy. Anyway, they apparently snuck down at midnight (just missing Dad putting bikes and things together) and then tried to wake Mom up at like 3, but were allowed to get up at 7 or so. Dad was pissed because the girls didn't freak out at their awesome presents (because they weren't surprised)! But of course he can only yell at them for sneaking, he can't explain how he wants them to be excited over his presents, because they aren't from him! They're from Santy Claus!

Friday I used another box of kleenex because the other nostril was running like a faucet. Saturday and Sunday we did absolutely nothing. It was awesome. Except tomorrow we have an appraiser coming because we're applying for a refi! So I've been trying to clean a little. So, we have a 5/1 ARM (30 years!!) and the rate is 5.875% during these first 5 years years of fixed rate. We've been thinking about refinancing for like a year now, so we're finally doing it. Looks like we can get a 30 year fixed for 5.0% That'll save us a couple hundred a month. I was hoping to get down into the 4s, but I guess this is good enough. And the best part? The loan will be sold off the Fannie Mae. Yes. It still exists, apparently. Hubby says "Isn't that what got us in trouble in the first place?" Oh! and the lady we talked to was the same from the original deal, and she actually recognized us! After more than two years! I mean, she didn't blurt out "Mr and Mrs ___!! So nice to see you!" or anything, but she did acknowledge we looked familiar. Anyway, by getting this payment as low as possible, it'll help if we ever try to rent the place out if we have to move away ("Army!!" said with fist shake like Kirk saying "Kahn!!") to either make more money on rent income, or be able to offer lower rent and still breaking even, etc. I have never rented a single family home before, so I really don't have any idea what kind of rent a family pays to live there. I thought that our mortgage payment was going to be too high of a price to ask for a family to pay. But I could be way off. Either way, saving money is good. So the inspector whatever guy is coming tomorrow. If he needs to get into the attic space, the hole is in my closet. I better hide my dirty underwear.

More Holidays adventures: apparently we're going on a dinner cruise for New Year's Eve. This is news to me, because I thought the guy of the couple we're going with had a gig and we were going to watch him play. I love being kept in the loop! So I have no details on the dinner at all. Don't know where it is or anything. Also, I'm suspicious of the fact this thing hasn't been sold out for months already.

OK, I'm tasting my ice cream: Pretty good, not as good as my mom's but way better than when I did it by hand last year. The flavor is just fine, but the consistency is a touch grainy and icy.

Oh! how could I forget the week before Christmas. Thursday was our holiday party, for which I may get a Commander's coin for my picture taking (even though I only took a couple, the emcee stole it and took tons of really excellent pictures of people, but she's already getting a coin for emceeing). After that was drinking at the local bar for four hours. The party was held on base, so no alcohol at all, and we were glad to get to the bar. Then the next night was more drinking at a work friend's Christmas party. They live out in the middle of nowhere in a house the same size and build quality as my parents' but for half the price. Literally half the price. I Zillowed it. This guy's house is freaking amazing. The great room has a full two story ceiling, and the Christmas tree at 13 feet still looked small. OK, it looked like a giant when you were standing next to it, but when you look at it and all the space it still has to take up, then it looks small:
OK, fine. It doesn't look small any way you look at it because it was a giant freaking beautiful tree. And real too.

The iPhone takes really horrible pictures, by the way.

Friday after Christmas we had lunch with friends and their new baby:
Too cute to not take a picture! And note to my mom, who's reading this I know: They came in with your binky banky wrapped over her. They all absolutely love it, and are very thankful. Binky means blanket, right? and not bottle? Ba ba is bottle? EDIT: WB thinks "binky" means pacifier, and I think that sounds right. So how about "banky" for blanket?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

isn't Binky a pacifier?

my brain hurts, so I have no additional comments at this time.