Sunday, November 16, 2008

Boring lizard post

I feed the Beardies superworms (big meals worms). The worms go in mealworm bedding (chopped up wheat), and somehow through some miracle of life that I don't understand, the worms never reach their pupal stage until I, say, try to feed a gecko who just lets it sit in its cage forever. Anyway, I had a problem with the last batch of mealworm bedding: it had been on the shelf too long before I bought it (online, otherwise I would have found a different bag) and had moths living in it. So, being the cheapskate that I am I thought I would salvage the two bags. I sifted through both bags and removed any moth larvae I found. I thought I was in the clear until a few weeks later when there were some moths flying around the house, and I saw the little larvae crawling out of the bucket I have the superworms in. Also, my spare bag has a new batch of moths in it. Oh! and the best part was when the larvae I missed chewed their way out of the ziplock bag the extra bedding was in. And it's been a couple months now, but I still have stray moths every once in a while. But I won't change my ways even after this situation: $30 for 1000 superworms is nothing to sneeze at, so I'll stay with this method.

So, the moral of the story is to just throw that crap out if it's gone bad and don't try to save it. It was nothing but trouble.


~~END~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ugh. Moths. They NEVER EVER EVER go away.

We first began our moth problem in 2005 when we had ducklings. The moths incubated in our duck food in the garage... and then got into the house.

Twice I have thrown every single food item away from the pantry. I have scraped larvae out of the corners between walls and ceilings, around baseboards and door jambs, from the rims of cans in the canned food cupboard.

Pasta is now stored in the refrigerator, as the disgusting creatures really like pasta.

We go months without moths, and then they're back. We have had four or five in the past few days. We're quite good at catching them and drowning the bastages.

I hate moths. Hate them.

And I truly hope you don't get infested like we did.