Sunday, November 30, 2008

I was going to blog something

but I forgot what it was. It was about something I did today. hmm. used a $25 gift card for Applebee's. Oh yes, now I remember. I downloaded the free app for my iPhone that tells you the name of a song you let it sample, called Shazam. It works pretty good, it records for maybe 10 seconds, and then spits out the artist, song name, album name, cover art, if any, and record label. This is all from some giant database, and so far it seem pretty inclusive. It doesn't know the Thai artists Hubby has on the computer, but it did know all the Dance and Techno we plugged in. Oh! One cool thing is it links directly to a Youtube video of the song, if there is one. It also links to the song in iTunes, so that's probably why it's a FREE app. So at Applebee's I was testing the Christmas music they had playing. Even with people talking in the background, or the football game going, it could still pick it up. I was impressed, but then I am easily impressed. Hubby's got a godawful remix of "We Will Rock You" all done up rap-style, but it's bad rap (I mean worse than the usual stuff, I'm talking Rapture awful). So I hit record during the chorus, which is not sampled, but resung by the "artist", and Shazam! it came up with the right answer.

So anyway, that's what I did this weekend.


~~END~~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure make it hard to do Xmas presents!

Daddeo

Anonymous said...

cool!
I've heard commercials for something along those lines and wondered how it worked.

and go you having someone other than me leave a comment!