Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summertime VII

The last entry of this series. Some flutterby's I was chasing at the National Arboretum August 2006. I guess they try to have something blooming or being pretty year-round, and in August it was pretty much just the herb garden, where these pictures were taken, and the Oriental House or whatever it's called (it's got lots of bonsai's, a nice big pond with koi, and some inside displays I didn't see.
These were all taken on my point and shoot S6. I was on my tippy toes most of the time, and almost fell into the flowers.

Oh yeah: as with most of the points of interest in DC, the National Arboretum is in a not-the-best part of town. Actually, it's not bad, but you'd think they would try and clean up the place a bit.

Update: added upon request:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

H here,

Can you please enlarge the third picture? I would love to see a close up of the proboscis on the stamen.

Sounds a bit, well, xxx (little x's) but this shot seems to really capture that moment.
The colors and focus are amazing. You have a gift.
I have one for you. Two weeks until safe shipping.

Anonymous said...

Exactly as I expected.
Simply stunning. the middle one is truly frameworthy, the colors and detail are brilliant and I love the balance. A little more underlight would have really made this one pop.
Thanks!
Heather

Anonymous said...

I keep coming back to these close-ups for calming balance.

It's a fundamental delicate sustenance seeking shot, maya. Becs wants to have it in her locker. I love it so much, I tried to steal it to no avail. Would you send me the bottom shot at my vetmed acct? Ferdinand's told me I can ship next week, so I will finally be able to follow through with my care pkg threat.
H