Friday, January 30, 2009

Ice is bad

So our brand new driveway is a solid sheet of ice. When you shovel snow, you leave just a thin little layer of ice (liquid water, in this case) to refreeze and get real slick. The big storm that came through a couple of days ago did exactly what everyone said: snow all night, warm air coming in would turn the snow to freezing rain and then rain, then get below freezing again. This made the road thick with ice. And now however many days later, the driveway still isn't melted. In fact, yesterday pulling in with the Jeep, I hopped over the embankment made by the snowplow, and aimed for the dry patch left by the Jeep. The dry batch was somewhat smaller, meaning some of the ice had melted and creeped down into the dry part. Anyway, I put the Jeep farther up the driveway, going as far as I could before the wheels were spinning, and then with the brakes on, slid down back to the dry spot! So that told me the driveway was just a bit slick. (There is hardly any incline at all, but apparently enough for the car to slide.) So that I wouldn't die on the way to the car next time, I took kitty litter OUT OF THE LITTER BOX and made a little trail from the door, down the path to the driveway, and then to the passenger and driver sides of the Jeep. Yeah fine, I should be putting salt on it. But I don't want the concrete to get ruined.


~~END~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow!

yeh, it's cold here, too. Only in the mid-sixties today!