Saturday, January 24, 2009

movies

We just saw Iron Man last night. You know, I actually liked it. I went into the experience ready to not like it, just because I'm getting tired of the movies-from-comic-books thing. But I like Robert Downey Jr enough that I really liked the movie. Before the movie started, a warning came up about "extreme sci fi action" or something. It was the first time I'd seen any warning like that, so we just laughed at how ridiculous it sounded. I'm thinking it was the whole reaching into the hole in the guy's chest where his heart is supposed to be thing that forced that warning to come up. I gotta admit it kinda creeped me out.

Also about movies, I was in a group of four people (two black, two white) in my office yesterday having a frank discussion on the stereotype of black people yelling at the movie screen. Hubby and I have lived on the East Coast for over two years now, and we haven't yet seen a movie in the theater yet. We come from the land of white people, so we don't have experience with big groups of black people in the theater. So it turns out that yes, black people do indeed yell and whoop and holler at the movie, depending on if some one is doing something stupid, something good/bad just happened, etc. I like that to a point, since it just makes the whole thing more fun to get into the movie so much. But I do still want to hear the movie for the $10 I'm paying. I think though, that whatever annoyances people yelling in the theater may cause, we all agreed that the teens holding conversations at full volume during the movie is the most aggravating of all. So for that reason alone, I think Hubby and I have decided to just wait for things to come out on Netflix.

Speaking of Netflix, we have the latest Indiana Jones sitting here waiting to be watched. I know it's going to suck, but I have to watch it simply because I need to do my duty to the series.


~~END~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we always have some ahole text messaging, or talking on the phone... and then they get pissed when we tell the to STFU.

BTW, I went to see Iron Man in the theater, and fully expected to hate it. Turns out, I love it and have seen it several times since then (on blu ray).